Friday, 4 November 2011

Singapore 5

Phone call from 02920359001 at 02.39 – probably trying to flog 3, the mobile phone operator – I was not happy, as this is the third call I’ve had in Singapore.  They will be hearing from me, when I get home.  A bit later got a text from Hilary saying all going to plan and waiting to board at Schiphol, so replied to let her know she will need to fill in an immigration card on arrival.  The alarm went off at 05:45, in time for a quick shower, change and downstairs for a light breakfast.  The bus was ready for us and we were away for 06:20.  We were at the ground for 07:00 – time for final preparations, stretching and loading with liquids – it was still, hot and humid, so the sweat was running freely. Most of the girls arrived by cab a bit later and gave us great support from the touchline.  I was on at right mid/wing and forced three corners, Tim scoring from one to put is 1-0 up against the Kiwis.  We generally had good possession, while the Kiwis tried to hammer the ball through to the odd front runner.  The second half saw us control the game, with the Kiwis tiring.  A sweet passing move saw PJ score another peach of a goal and then Tim put the game out of reach.  Played a period at left mid/wing, then rested, and in the final moments a corner was conceded and then a flick.  Webby nearly saved, but we had to be content with a 3-1 victory.  That puts us second and we will play the Kiwis again tomorrow at 14:00 in the semi-finals.

Back at the hotel to pack up all my clobber.  Bruce and Andy have “volunteered” to put our kit through the washing machine – thank goodness, for the health and safety of all!  The staff will move it to our new double room this afternoon, while I collect Hilary from Changi Airport.  I’ll go on the MRT around 3:00 pm, as it takes about an hour and the plane arrives at 16:20. 

Got out to the airport at 15:45 – plane on time and Hilary texted from the Immigration queue – she was soon through, with her case, even though she had had to run through the terminal at Schiphol to catch her connection!  Great to see her here and welcome her to Singapore!  Hilary braved the MRT into town – and I got ribbed as a skinflint for not taking a taxi.  Supper in an excellent Tandori restaurant, preceded by a beer on Harbour Quay – then bed, ahead of the semi-finals!

1 comment:

  1. Come on England! Very proud of you Dee, keep it up!